Saturday, May 17, 2014

It Must Be The Sunshine...

The last couple days of rain have left me missing the hot weather we had last week. But that hasn't stopped me from reminiscing on some of my favourite summer things. Burgers & Sorbet.

Kettle Drums Restaurant & Bar opened up a couple of years ago but despite it being just down the road from my house - I don't go much. Here's the thing - The first time I went it was AMAZING. The Second time I went (about a year later) it was not so great. The food wasn't bad but the service was incredibly slow. I decided third time's the charm and had also heard it was under new management so we give it another shot.

Lisa and I headed down for dinner and I was really excited because despite the one poor experience, they serve their own Homemade Root Beer which is one of my favourite things on the menu next to the Sweet Potato Kettle Chips. It seems a little daunting at first because its a really light/clear colour which is the complete opposite of what you'd expect a root beer to look like, but its delicious nonetheless.


We both decided to go try out Blue Bison Burger. I had never tried Bison meat up until this point and everyone I spoke with always said it was great so I was really excited to try this. It came topped with caramelized onions, jam and blue cheese.


I was pretty satisfied overall, but I'm not the biggest fan of blue cheese so in my opinion it would have been much without it. The garlic and dill sauce is served alongside the kettle chips and makes for a great combination. I love anything sweet potato in nature so much its almost a bad habit.

After dinner I dropped lisa off and headed over to Michael's to pick up a few drawing supplies. I had been wanting to get a set of Prismacolor pencils to start adding some colour into my sketches. Since I've never used them before (and I'm so new to drawing in general) I opted for the cheaper and smaller package (about $20 for 12).


One of my favourite desserts in the summer months is sorbet. But you can't just eat sorbet like a commoner, it deserves to be respected and displayed with class.


"Wow, are you going to have a romantic dinner by yourself? Maybe a candle-lit bath or something?" 

This is the reaction I got from my boyfriend when I made up my sorbet up in a martini glass and headed to my bedroom - alone.

What are some of your favourite summer foods/ drinks?
- xo Lyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment