Thursday, October 24, 2013

Music | New Zealand Native - Lorde



Ella Yelich-O'Connor is just 16 years old and already has over 20 Million views on her first chart topper "Royals" alone. That's not including her previous EP or other tracks from her album Pure Heroine. She considers herself a feminist and unconventional artist with lyrics like "I'm kind of over getting told to through my hands up in air, so there" and  "It's a new art form showing people how little we care".

This New Zealand native has often been compared to the likes of Lana Del Ray with her alternative take on pop music. Nearly every article written on her is covering her overthrow of Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball" on Billboards Hot 100. Her lack of sultry attire on stage has lead to discussions assuming that she is against the aforementioned pop singer. But in a recent interview with Jian Ghomeshi for Q Blog she stated "People think I don't wear bras and undies in my videos because I think there's something wrong with it. I don't. I just personally don't feel super comfortable with it and I don't think it will help my music come across any different. But if I wanted to do than it would be my choice and it would be fine and I have absolutely no problem with anyone else doing it."

I'm really impressed with what I have seen and heard from Lorde to date. She's got me listening to "Tennis Court", "Team" and "Royals" on repeat and the lyrics are totally relate-able.

Here's hoping that the media doesn't change her too.

Check out my favourite tracks from Lorde below...



-Lyssa 

Photos & Videos: globalgrind.com, youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment