Saturday, September 28, 2013

Beauty | The Coconut Craze

Lately Pinterest has been bombarding me with what I call a "battle of the oils". From Argan & Moroccan to Macadamia, Almond and Coconut - they all provide a wealth of promising uses for health and beauty. I've incorporated coconut oil into my life in a variety of ways over the last 6 months so here I am to spread the hype and share my own uses for the this Jack-of-all-trades.



1) It's a Wicked Hair Moisturizer

I have an abnormal obsession with anything coconut scented so when I found out that the Bulk Barn sells this in it's 'oil' state, I was all over it. I've been giving my hair a little extra TLC lately because of how often I dye and heat it, and it's been proving extremely useful to me. In addition to L'OREAL's Mythic Oil (which I use almost daily prior to drying/straightening my hair), once a week I use coconut oil and massage it into the lower half of my hair (using only a bit near the roots) and wrap it up in a Turbie-Twist - leaving it in for several hours or over night. Your hair will need a good washing afterwards because of how saturated it becomes, which will easily leave your hair looking greasy. I've been using Marc Anthony Macadamia Oil shampoo & conditioner which is a nice compliment scent to coconut.

2) Work it Into Your Diet 

Not just a great hair treatment though, coconut oil has a lot of health benefits that you might not be aware of.  It's said to improve thyroid and blood-sugar control in addition to helping maintain weight by consuming roughly 2 tablespoons a day. I haven't experienced this next one myself, but sources say when consumed daily it will help improve sleep and circulation for those of you who are always cold. If you're like me and prefer the smell of coconut over the actual taste of it, a great way to consume it is in coffee/tea or warmed up and then blended into a smoothie. 

3) Cure Hangnails & Canker Sores

Canker sore? No problem. Dab a bit of coconut oil on it and cut down on the healing time immensely. I'm also prone to hang nails so rubbing a bit into my cuticle area has been quite successful at preventing them and keeping my hands moisturized at the same time. 

4) Use in Homemade Body Butters & Scrubs

One of my side hobbies is mixing random kitchen ingredients together and making my own version of body scrubs and butters. Coconut oil not only has the scent and consistency for my mini projects but also the moisturizing properties. If you've never seen coconut oil before, it's rather fascinating, starting off chunky and gel-like, it quickly warms (even just with the little heat that your hand can produce) and turns into a liquid.

Leave a comment below with your own coconut oil uses :)

- Lyssa 
Sources: www.doctoroz.com, www.huffingtonpost.ca








No comments:

Post a Comment