Saturday, August 10, 2013

Fashion | A Minimalist Approach


It goes without saying that I (like a lot of woman) spend a remarkable amount of time in the morning getting ready for the days excursions. There’s a lot finessing that goes into getting your hair, outfit and makeup perfect all in one go.  I wake up roughly 3 hours before I need to leave the house. This gives me time to do the following in this particular order:

Shower
Drink my coffee
Check Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest
Dry my hair
Curl / Straighten my hair
Start my makeup
Check Facebook again
Clean my apartment
Finish my makeup
Find an outfit.
Switch that outfit
Begin the household hunt for my car keys
Leave for work


In contrast, here is what it takes a man to get ready for work:

Wake up 10 minute prior to leaving the house
Shower
Dress
Done


For the past 9 months I’ve listened to my boyfriend express his opinion on how I take too long to get ready and care too much about what others think of me. As usual, I objected with the average excuses like “I just like taking my time” or “It just takes so long to dry my hair that’s the only reason”. After many of these discussions, I’ve come to a terrible realization - he was right. It should not take me 3 outfit changes before deciding something looks good on me, not when I’ve worn that exact outfit before and thought I looked hotter than Beyonce’s booty. This is why I’ve decided to embark on a new journey in terms of my fashion choices - a minimalist approach.

Simple. Elegant.

Nothing is more simple and elegant than the little black dress, a staple in every girl’s wardrobe. Hell, any dress could be a winner in this category. Save for the bra and panties, there are few things you need to dress yourself and look presentable. Since my job does not require a strict business dress code, I’ve opted for mostly black skinny jeans and a plain coloured v-neck the past couple of weeks as a test run. I bought v-necks in purple, bright coral, mint and navy, which I’ve paired with a black/gold belt and neutral coloured purse.

Now I’m not saying this is going to last. I’m the type that gets bored easily and needs to change things up; this is merely a test pilot. The next few updates I post will hopefully showcase some of my minimalist fashion choices in hopes of inspiring more women to carpe diem and simply be happy with their selves. The only competition you have is improving from who you were yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment