Monday, August 19, 2013

The thing about naps…


...is that for me, it's like waking up from an extended trip to hell and back. After having a discussion with a coworker about our mutual distaste for napping, I felt that sharing my bad experiences might help me move forward in my nap-less life.

Let me preface this by saying, I wake up in the morning based solely on the fact that there is coffee to drink. That, in its own, should be the first indication that I do not fare well with routine morning tasks. Regardless of weather it's rise and shine at nine or a nap in the afternoon, some rather strange things happen to my body during this time. I know that your heart rate slows when you sleep, this happens to everyone. But for me, it feels like my heart rate slows to an abnormal rate. This is what I believe to be the root cause of my problem. The slowed heart rate means a decreased number of breaths and in turn, a lack of oxygen is supplied to my brain. Upon waking, my face is flushed and feels like an inferno is taking place somewhere inside of my head. I can't speak; any sound that does manage to come out is mere gibberish followed by a lot of groaning. My muscles feel like I've ran 6 straight marathons and I find myself usually rolling (ever so gracefully) out of bed. Then there is that awful feeling of trying to pry my eyes open while at the same time trying to spare them the obnoxious glow of the light.

For the next 20 minutes I sit in silence, drink my coffee and usually attempt to beat level 33 of Candy Crush (day 4 and still no progress on that one). Studies say that power napping has countless benefits including enhanced creativity, decreased stress levels and improved motor skills, so I truly wish it wasn't such a hassle for me to wake up, as I'd love to benefit from all of those lovely things. 

None of this would be too much of a problem if it were not for the invention of movies. This leads me to my second dilemma. If it's anywhere past 8:00 PM and you put a movie on, I am going to fall asleep and that is a solid fact. Movies = nap time. It took me almost three days to finish watching Finding Forrester. 




- Lyss

No comments:

Post a Comment